Legendary senior writer, Packers lead blogger & NFC North columnist jclombardi presents Packers "great, good, bad & ugly" awards.
1. RB Lacy—super with 110 rushing yards & 48 receiving yards.
2. QB Flynn—great comeback game with 218 yards & touchdown.
3. WR Jones—clutch 7 catches for 80 yards.
1. WR Boykin—solid 5 catches for 60 yards.
2. Punter Masthay—consistent punts averaging 40.8 yards with 3 inside 20.
3. OLB Matthews—good pressure with two sacks.
1. OTs Newhouse & Bakhtiari—the offensive line struggled giving up 2 sacks with the Vikings bringing pressure from the outside against these two in critical series, especially overtime.
2. QB Tolzien—predictably, he was ineffective and inaccurate playing like a 3rd string Wisconsin quarterback in prime time game. While the cheesedungtv raving fools (specifically BC) said “Keep dreaming”, HC McCarthy finally wised up bringing in veteran backup QB Flynn in early second half to salvage the tie.
1. HC McCarthy—for a third straight week, he was outcoached, outmuscled & outplayed by another motivated not-so-physical team, specifically the NFC North Division’s bottom dwelling Vikings. His awful play calling continued in critical series and overtime, with specific examples involving two series with repeated missed 1st down pass, no gain 2nd down run, and missed long 3rd down. ON 3rd down efficiency, the Packers were an awful 3 for 16.
2. Packers defense (excluding Matthews)—all got negative PFF grades. They gave up 447 total yards including 232 rushing yards.
COMMENTARY: Playing at Lambeau, we are not surprised at the embarrassing tie against the ViQueens. Waiting until it was almost too late, HC McCarthy brought in veteran QB Flynn to lead to the comeback for the tie. Yet, his questionable play calling in overtime led to a simple field goal, while the defense failed to hold the Vikings in the next series. They got a field goal resulting in the final tie. Meanwhile, the fluff sports press with focus upon whether QB Rodgers will back for the Thanksgiving Lions game? We doubt it based upon medical reports and healing timeline. Although QB Flynn can win it with the offense, the defense simply stinks. We shall see.