Legendary senior writer, Packers lead blogger & NFC North featured columnist jclombardi reviews Packers vs Titans preseason game along with few roster trends.
COMMENTARY: While we wanted to bring earlier training camp reviews, we waited until after the Packers preseason game against the Titans to start bringing great, good, bad & ugly highlights and notes about Packers final roster trends.
1. Immortal Packer CB Jarrett Bush--unbelievable isn’t it? He had 8 tackles and 1 sack, but he always has a good training camp and preseason.
2. QB Tolzien--completed 8 of 12 passes for 124 yards with 100.7 passer rating. Meanwhile, QB Flynn graded out as the worst offensive player (PFF).
1. Center J. C. Tretter—good 1st start with generally good blocking & range with no sacks or hurries. Weighing only 300 pounds, he will need to be assignment perfect with solid leverage to be successful against the huge nose tackles in the NFL. Meanwhile, rookie center Linsley is having a solid training camp.
2. Tackle Sherrod—he is stronger with adequate skills to be competent swing backup tackle.
3. Rookie Safety Clinton-Dix—overall, an impressive 1st game with 3 tackles, 1 pass breakup, 1 missed tackle (PFF), and targeted twice allowing no completion. He probably will play in DC Capers dime defensive scheme. Meanwhile defensive back Hyde made a strong transition to safety. Safety will be an improved Packers position.
4. Rookie DL Pennel—2 tackles in a good NT performance. He is strong against the run and fits the mold (6 ‘ 4”, 332 pounds) for backup nose tackle.
5. Ground Game—RBs Starks & rookie Neal had 11 carries, 88 yards & 2 touchdowns. RB Harris had 1 return for 40 yards.
6. Rookie TE Richard Rodgers—generally solid game with catch & good blocking. He is a better route runner and blocker than veteran TE Quarless who may become a backup.
1. OLB Julius Pepper—while its on the 1st preseason game, he had no tackles with no impact. As EB said, "He was a big reason Titans running back Shonn Greene scored so easily on a 13-yard touchdown run that was the final play of the No. 1 defense's night. Peppers got too far up field and turned his back to the sideline, which opened a huge hole for Greene to cut inside and go for the score."
2. OLBs Neal & Perry—both are disappointing draft picks to be relegated as backup niche defensive players.
1. Rookie WR Adams—while the rookie has a good training camp going, he muffed 2 ugly punt returns. However, he did make 2 catches for 22 yards. It’s a typical 1st game rookie game.
2. Injury bug—after just one preseason game, the Packers are starting to build an extensive injury list.
As stated in the 2013 season review, the Packers need to solve their weak inside linebackers problem in the shaky run defense to have a successful 2014 NFL season. So far, while it is early in the preseason, they have done little to address the serious problem!
UNDRAFTED ROOKIE GEMS:
While the 2014 Packers Draft Class is strong with a few disappointments, the Packers may have found rookie gems in RB Rajion Neal, DL Mike Pennel. OLB Jayrone Elliott & LB Joe Thomas. Finally, cornerback Jumal Rolle is having a solid camp and has bright moments in the Titans preseason game. We shall see what rookies perform in the final 3 preseason games to make final roster trends. Stay tune fans!