Legendary senior writer jclombardi reports Tuesday's training camp highlights.
Photo credit: AP.
With the Packers practicing in full pads for a second day, we can see individual progressions through camp. Fortunately, the rookies are progressing fine, as the veterans continue to mature:
1, WR Donald Driver had three touchdown catches in team and red zone drills. McCarthy described Driver as tough, consistent, and all-time pro.
2. WR James Jones has also had a strong early camp. Interestingly, CBS Sports Rapid Reports adds, "WR James Jones running 2nd team on a lot of special teams.Means they're considering him for starting spot. Young guys 1st"
3. McCarthy stated WR Greg Jennings (elbow) may practicpate in Wednesday’s practice. The new injuries included DL Ryan Pickett (knee bruise), RB Marc Tyler (shoulder), and DL Mike Daniels (knee and groin). Finally, McCarthy added that LB Desmond Bishop (calf) and FB John Kuhn (knee) may be ready by the end week.
4. In the 2012 season, CB Devon House may play on every defensive play. Tuesday, House lined up as the third cornerback whether it was the nickel defense or the base defense as Charles Woodson shifts to safety. McCarthy said House is a "different player this year."
5. Talking about the cornerbacks, McCarthy said, "Important to stack success in practices (in regard to House having a couple good days). But as group, young CBs need to be more physical."
6. McCarthy praised safety Morgan Burnett, who had an active good Tuesday practice, calling him to be one of the younger players “ready to step into the forefront.” In practice, Burnett broke up a pass, forced a pass incompletion intended for Finley, intercepted QB Rodgers, and forced RB Green to fumble.
7. Rookies safety Jerron McMillian and linebacker Terrell Manning had strong practices with McMillian having a pass-breakup and and Manning dominating in the second defense with solid plays against the run and breaking up a potential touchdown pass.
8. TE Finley returned to practice looking fine and making plays. McCarthy said. “Jermichael is such a play-maker. I’ll probably say this everyday throughout this week and probably into next week, but it is an installation-phase of training camp, so a lot of new plays today. We hit a bunch of situations, a number of two-minute drills, red zone, and with that the adjustments and communications. I thought he did fine. Didn’t really study him, didn’t feel I needed to watch him as my focus was in other areas, but it was great to have him back.”